Monday, March 27, 2006

The Great American Earthquake

The earth is starting to move in America. Can you feel it? Republican congressional candidates can, and they're scrambling to move to the center away from George W. and his failed leadership.

Do you feel, as I do, that Washington DC has packed up our kids, and money, and shipped them all off to Iraq? Even our senators and governors are in Iraq, or maybe it just seems like it. Because every time I watch the evening news, its very likely that I'll see a clip of politicians in flack jackets, standing in some desert in Iraq or Afghanistan. Here's an idea: let's leave the politicians in Iraq (the Iraqi's supposedly want a democracy, right? Let's give 'em some of our politicians) and bring the troops home to their moms, wifes and kids.

Have you noticed the shift in America, though? I certainly have. When I first wrote about fueling our family truckster with E85 ethanol, that was sort of an "out there" kind of article. Less than a year later, with gas at $2.50 a gallon, I'm jockeying in line with Soccer Mom's for the town's lone E85 pump.

Suddenly E85 is cool. Even Goerge W. finally had to learn to pronounce "Ethanol" for his state of the union address. Politicians are talking about bio-diesel, solar and windpower. Suddenly they're talking about "energy independence" and citing Brazil as a model for the U.S.

As I go about my every day life, I sense the growing dissatisfaction with the President's leadership, and a longing for change. REAL change, not just political-speak change. The kind of change that moves America away from the poison and pollution of oil, and towards a sustainable cleaner, more independent future.

No comments: