Thursday, June 16, 2005

Working from home

I always thought how great it would be to have a job where I work from home. Now that I have one, I find I miss the commaraderie and random interaction of the office. For those of you who are dreaming of being employed from home, here is what I have been experiencing.

My vision:
Working, while I play the radio as loud as I want! With no co-workers to tell me to turn it down.
Reality:
Either I'm on a conference call, or else there's so much noise within my head that the radio is a distraction.

My vision:
No commuting to work! Just walk over to the computer!
Reality:
Being so close to "the office" means I'm always checking on email. Its hard to let work go. It also means that certain co-workers feel that they can just call you at home whenever they want.

My vision:
Being able to goof off a little.
Reality:
I'm so buried with work, that goofing off is a luxury I can't afford.

My vision:
Instead of sitting around a meeting table, I'm at home participating on a conference call in my underwear.
Reality:
Yes, I am wearing my underwear (most of the time) but lousey teleconferencing equipment makes it difficult to hear what is being said, and I often miss the context.

My vision:
I'm home when my wife shows up with the kids at 5pm! No more late nights at work for me.
Reality:
The family gets home and I have to move to a private area in order to complete my work or my phone call. Work just doesn't stop at 5 pm, even at home. I never miss dinner anymore, though.

It's fun to be back with a software company. My first "work at home" situation is a good one, and I'm settling in to the new routine.

I enjoy the work.

Just wish I had an office to do it in.

Diet update: No longer losing weight quickly or easily. Have been stuck around 183-184 for weeks. Am adding back certain foods to the diet. Maybe losing 20 lbs is enough. Now lets see if I can stay here.

No comments: